Saturday, June 22, 2019

To the Seven Churches


John reports that he is on the Island of Patmos as he writes the Revelation concerning Jesus Christ and the end of time. But the most important note is, “I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day…” This phrase alone should get the attention of every reader because this indicates that what is being written is not from John’s mind, but from the heart of God. This prophetic word is about God’s final victory over evil and for His people; about His glory.
“I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day when I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, saying: “Write in a book what you see and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia,
and Laodicea.” I turned to see whose voice was speaking to me, and when I did so, I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands was one like a son of man. He was dressed in a robe extending down to his feet and he wore a wide golden belt around his chest. His head and hair were as white as wool, even as white as snow, and his eyes were like a fiery flame. His feet were like polished bronze refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. He held seven stars in his right hand, and a sharp double-edged sword extended out of his mouth. His face shone like the sun shining at full strength. When I saw him I fell down at his feet as though I were dead, but he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid! I am the first and the last, and the one who lives! I was dead, but look, now I am alive – forever and ever – and I hold the keys of death and of Hades! Therefore write what you saw, what is, and what will be after these things. The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and the seven golden lamp stands is this: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.” Revelation 1:10-20 NET2.
The Book of Revelation is a book filled with prophetic symbolism and the most prevalent is the number 7. However, it is not simply the number 7 itself that seems to be of prominence. In the verses we are looking at now there are seven churches, seven lampstands and seven stars, and the list goes on throughout the Book. Most agree that this number represents perfection in Scripture which in itself is important. And of all the symbols in the Revelation, at least in my mind is found in verse 16, “and a sharp double-edged sword extended out of his mouth.” This is the Word of God that we are studying which is sharper than a double edged sword, “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing event to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart. And no creature is hidden from God, but everything is naked and exposed to the eyes of him who must render an account.” Hebrews 4:12-13. We must be prayerfully exposed to this prophetic book as God speaks to our hearts about the final victory.
Jesus is Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment