Sunday, June 23, 2019

Is Pragmatism Practical in Following Christ?

I do believe that pragmatism is practical and applicalble from studying the Word of God. I wrote the following in a comment on this very subject: "I, too, consider myself a pragmatic Follower of the Christ and this does not interfere with my understanding of Him in matters of practice and faith. Understanding Him by faith is to accept the fact that His ways and thoughts are not at all similar to my ways and thoughts and I must be obedient to His teachings in all things.
Webster's defines Pragmatic like this: "relating to matters of fact or practical affairs often to the exclusion of intellectual or artistic matters : practical as opposed to idealistic." And I do not see the Bible as idealistic, but as practical faith for Paul writes in Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 2 For by it the men of old gained approval." NASB. This conforms with Isaiah 55:5-12. Faith pertains to the facts surrounding God's design and purpose for my life and not my own. The facts of Scripture, at least the way I understand them, are quite pragmatic/practical for everyday living and my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I think it was Manly Beasley who said, "Faith is acting as if it is so in order for it to be so for with God it already is so." From a practical standpoint and in reference to the facts of God's Word surrounding faith this is a practical means for Following Christ. After all, His birth, life, death, burial and resurrection are facts of history; not conjecture. Pragmatic faith in Him is justifiable."

What I do know is that, indeed, my thoughts and ways are not at all similar nor comprable to those of the Almighty and if I am to successsfuly follow Him my disregard for personal factual information must not be included. All that I know of God is derived from the Scriptures and His application of them in my daily life. Do I know Him apart from His written Word? Certainly. However, everything I know of Him, practically speaking, finds foundation in His Word. In no manner am I able to know Him apart from what I find about Him in Scripture. Is He able to identify with me apart from His Word? Abslolutely, again, but I have found that He will never act outside of the His written Word in dealing with me.

With all of this said, I have become more pragmatic in my understanding of Him for the facts conderning Him found in the infallible and inerrant Word of God are always true when I encounter Him in daily living.

Jesus is Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment